Top 7 Things To Do in Amsterdam - Sights & Attractions
Amsterdam is packed with exciting sights and attractions. But, what should you look at first and what not to miss? On this page, we have listed our top 7 things to do in Amsterdam for you.
So many things to do! Discover the countless sights in the city centre
The following selection contains our absolute favorite attractions. Above, in the menu, you will find many more things to do. Many of them are free. Click on a picture to see all the information.
1. Vondelpark - The garden of Amsterdam
An extensive park, in the middle of the city. The people of Amsterdam love their green oasis. Our tip: Sit on a bench and watch the blossoming life - amazing what's going on here! All information about the Vondelpark
2. Prinsengracht - Amsterdam's most beautiful canal
The canal belt is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Prinsengracht is for us the most beautiful of the four main canals in Amsterdam. Stroll along the shore and enjoy the fairytale view of the historic old town. All information about the Prinsengracht
3. Van Gogh Museum - Largest Van Gogh collection in the world
Tragic death and ludicrously expensive pictures. Countless myths make Vincent Van Gogh the first rock star in art history. With numerous originals, you can relive the exciting life story of Vincent Van Gogh. All information about the Van Gogh Museum
4. Rijksmuseum - Art treasures in a beautiful building
Even if you're not a museum fan, you'll be thrilled. The newly renovated building provides the perfect setting for masterpieces such as Rembrandt's "Nachtwache" or Johannes Vermeer's "Milchmagd." All information about the Rijksmuseum. All information about the Rijksmuseum
5. A'DAM Lookout - Breathtaking view over Amsterdam
The A'DAM Lookout is a high-rise building with a viewing platform. Enjoy the 360-degree panorama over the harbor and the historic city center. There's also something you won't find anywhere else. All information about the A'DAM Lookout
6. Red Light District (De Wallen) - Sinful mile between the canals
This attraction is only for adults, but still in our top 7, the red-light district belongs to Amsterdam like the Reeperbahn to Hamburg. In our guide, you will find out what you should pay attention to during your visit. All information about the red-light district
7. Jordaan - The most beautiful district in Amsterdam
The Jordaan is the most beautiful and authentic part of Amsterdam. Along the canals, you will find lovely shops, wonderful houseboats, restaurants, and cafés. All about the Jordaan District
Of course, Amsterdam has much more to offer. With our Top 7 things to do, you'll be well supplied for a weekend. If you have a little more time, have a look at the highlights in the menu above. There you will find many more ideas for your Amsterdam trip: rent a bike, go shopping in the Nine Streets, or enjoy a canal cruise.
Tip - Free Amsterdam City Map
Download our free Amsterdam map as PDF. All the sights are marked on the map. Alternatively, click on "Map" in the upper right corner. The digital map can be zoomed and moved as desired. If you want, you can even display your current position (click on "My Position" in the upper left corner).
To help you find your way around all these sights, we'll tell you where they are and how to get there.
Map - Things To Do in Amsterdam - Sights & Attractions
All sights and attractions (highlights) are marked with a star. Click on the image to open the map.
Map - Amsterdam Sights & Attractions - Click to activate the map
To get a feel for the distances: From the main station to Vondelpark you walk about 30 minutes. From the main station to the Anne-Frank-Haus it is a 20-minute walk.
The best attractions in Amsterdam are:
- Anne Frank House - Anne Frank's hiding place and exciting museum
- Vondelpark - Beautiful park, in the middle of Amsterdam
- Van Gogh Museum - The most extensive Van Gogh collection in the world
- Rijksmuseum - The most extensive Van Gogh collection in the world
- Moco Museum - Street Art and Contemporary Art
- Madame Tussauds - The greatest personalities as wax figures
- Heineken Experience - Beer amusement park of the Heineken brewery
- Prinsengracht - Amsterdam's most beautiful canal
- Jordaan - A district to fall in love with
- Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge) - Beautiful bridge with a romantic secret
- A'DAM Lookout - The most beautiful view in Amsterdam?
- Red light district - Amsterdam's red-light district (De Wallen)
- Leidseplein - Our favorite square in the heart of Amsterdam
Ways to get to the sights:
- The well-developed tram networks
- Bike rental
- Over the water with the canal bus
On this page there are partner links (affiliate links). If you book via a partner link (or if you buy something), we get a small commission. These commissions help us to keep this site up and running. You don’t pay a cent more.