Vondelpark – The Garden of the Amsterdamers
The Vondelpark is a fantastic, spacious park in the middle of Amsterdam. In summer, the atmosphere is wonderful. We'll explain how to get there and tell you our favorite places.
The countless visitors relax in the sun with a book or meet with friends for a beer. The green oasis offers relaxation and variety to the city turmoil. With its about 47 hectares, the Vondelpark is really big. It is protected and by far the most popular park in Amsterdam.
Entrance gate with golden letters - The city park exists since 1865
As soon as you enter the park you will dive into a totally different world. Quiet corners with park benches and twittering birds, wide ponds, generous lawns and a beautiful rose garden for your relaxation.
Tip - Do it as the locals
Take a picnic blanket, something to drink and a few snacks, sit down on the edge of one of the many ponds and relax for a few ours from the city turmoil.
You don’t want to lie around and chill? Then the Vondelpark is still the right place for you.
Somewhere always something happens
There often spontaneous parties happening in the evenings. From May to August young artists and up-and-coming bands play on the open-air stage of the Vondelpark. You can find the bill on the website of the open air stage.
1071 AA Amsterdam
Show on Map
Book a Walking Tour
What you can do at Vondelpark depends on the season.
On the map we have marked our favourite places
Picnics are best in spring and summer. A cappuccino in one of the beautiful cafés also tastes wonderful in winter.
Our favourite places at the Vondelpark - Press to activate
The white dashed lines on the map are wide cycle paths. Over them you can explore the park wonderfully by bike. In our article on bike rental in Amsterdam you will find all the information you need.
- 'T Blauwe Theehuis - The "Blue Teahouse" is a popular hangout for locals and visitors. On the large terrace the friendly staff serve drinks and small snacks at fair prices. Tip: Theehuis is perfect for a drink on a nice summer evening - great music and great atmosphere Vondelpark 5, 1071 AA Amsterdam.
- Stayokay Hostel - A very nice hostel with a view over the park. The area around Vondlepark is a great place to stay overnight. There is less hustle and bustle here and you will be in the centre in a few minutes. Read more about it here. Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam.
- Open air theatre (Openluchttheater) - If you hear music from afar, it must be the open air stage! From May to August, artists perform here with music, dance and theatre. You won't soon forget a live concert on a warm summer evening. Here you can find the schedule. Vondelpark 5a, 1071 AA Amsterdam.
- A paradise for children - A city tour with children can be quite exhausting. Give yourselves a break. The city park of Amsterdam offers many possibilities. The water playground (Kinderbadje) is always busy in summer and the kids quickly make friends. In the Kinderkookkafé (children's kitchen) the little ones learn to cook, while Mom and Dad put their feet up and relax.
- Rose garden (Rosarium) - The beautiful rose garden is located in the northwest of the park. Many different species are planted in 63 hexagonal beds. The beds are surrounded by low hedges - so you can walk wonderfully through them and enjoy the splendour of the flowers. The roses flower best between mid-May and the end of June.
- Groot Melkhuis - A really nice place to relax. Here you can sit wonderfully at the water and enjoy a delicious snack. The excellent pancakes and breakfast are great. Children love the Groot Melkhuis because of its beautiful playground. Vondelpark 2, 1071 AA Amsterdam.
- De Vondeltuin - Perfect for a break - De Vondeltuin is an outdoor restaurant with bar. The large outdoor area is super cosy and designed with lots of wood. So you can enjoy your lunch or dinner in the green. Vondelpark 7, 1075 VR Amsterdam.
These were our favourite places in the most beautiful park of Amsterdam. Do you know any more? Then write a comment. Read on and find out how to get to Vondelpark.
Your Tour Recommendations
How can I get to the Vondelpark?
Route to the Vondelpark – Press to activate
On foot: From the main station it is quite a distance to the Vondelpark. You walk about 40 minutes. The route, in the picture above, is really beautiful and leads you over the three main canals and the Leidseplein. If you can't walk the 3.5 km, rent a bike at the main station.
By tram: The Vondelpark is only 20 minutes away by tram. From the main station take no. 2 or no. 5. Exit at the stop "Hobbemastraat". Here you can buy discounted tram tickets.
On this page there are partner links (affiliate links). If you book via a partner link (or if you buy something), we get a small commission. These commissions help us to keep this site up and running. You don’t pay a cent more.