Magere Brug – The Most Romantic Bridge in Amsterdam
The Magere Brug is a bridge in the centre of Amsterdam. The traditional wooden bridge over the Amstel looks simply amazing. Here you can find out what makes this skinny bridge so special and what its romantic secret is.
Beautifully illuminated in the evening - Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge)
Couples in love, strollers and Japanese tourists. The Magere Brug is a magical attraction for visitors to Amsterdam. You won't forget a visit on a nice evening so quickly.
The Magere Brug is one of the most photographed sights in Amsterdam. Nevertheless, the bridge never seems overcrowded.
Tip - Visit the Magere Brug in the most beautiful light
In the morning and evening, one to two hours after or before sunrise or sunset, the bridge shines in the most beautiful light. Then perfect photos succeed. After sunset the bridge is beautifully illuminated. Today the sun sets at *.
Continue reading: In the next part we reveal the romantic secret and other exciting details about the most beautiful bridge in Amsterdam.
Your Tour Recommendations
Magere Brug - Romantic Secret and More
If you know the exciting history of the bridge, a visit will be even more interesting. And when do you have the chance of eternal love? The most important facts at a glance.
The Magere Brug is a meeting-point for couples in love ❤
The name "Magere Brug" means "Skinny Bridge". Legend has it that a young girl had the bridge built because her sister lived on the other side of the canal - so they could see each other more often.
- Romantic secret - Couples who kiss on Magere Brug stay together forever - at least that's what the legend says. We can't find a better place to kiss and it's definitely worth a try.
- Chains and wood – A technical masterpiece - n the past, two brave bridgekeepers opened the skinny bridge by hand with a chain pulley. The trick in closing the bridge was to lower both parts at the same time. That was damn dangerous. Today the work is done by an electric drive.
- For large boats the bridge is lifted several times a day - Maybe you are lucky and can watch the spectacle live. Smaller canal cruise boats can pass under the bridge.
- In the James Bond movie - "Diamonds are forever" - The Skinny Bridge appears as the historical backdrop for a horrible find.
- 1200 light bulbs illuminate the bridge in magical light - After sunset the lights reflect beautifully on the Amstel - so romantic!
One last tip. Between Waterlooplein and Rembrandtplein there is a fantastic view of the Skinny Bridge. We have marked the viewpoint on the following map. There you can also find out how to get to the Magere Brug.
How do I get to Skinny Bridge in Amsterdam?
The Magere Brug is situated in the centre of Amsterdam and crosses the river Amstel. It connects the Kerkstraat with the Nieuwe Kerkstraat.
Route to Skinny Bridge - Press to activate
On foot: The walk from the main station takes about 25 minutes if you walk comfortably. Our route takes you through Chinatown, through Nieuwmarkt, past Waterlooplein and along the Amstel. Already on the way you will get wonderful views of the famous wooden bridge. For example from the "Blauwbrug" (viewpoint on the map).
By tram: By tram you reach the Magere Brug in 20 minutes. From the main station, the 51, 53 and 54 trams leave at the "Waterlooplein" stop. From there it's a 5 minute walk. Here you can buy discounted tram tickets.
Exciting sights in the surrounding area
If you're already in the corner, you can take a trip to the Museumplein. There you will find the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum. On your way you will pass the Heineken Brewery. Here you will find an overview of all the sights.
*Time for sunset with friendly support from Time.is.
On this page there are partner links (affiliate links). If you book via a partner link (or if you buy something), we get a small commission. These commissions help us to keep this site up and running. You don’t pay a cent more.